TROMjaro Forum

Introduction

I don’t know if your approach is similar to any of these, or if there might be any potential for mutual assistance:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=275168
https://github.com/odziom91/libadwaita-theme-changer
https://github.com/GradienceTeam/Gradience

It is a ‘nice to have’ to be able to sync theme, but I really don’t mind different apps having a somewhat different look and feel to them tbh, as long as they have some kind of dark mode available. It helps with legibility/accessibility to instantly recognise which window is which. If they all look exactly the same, they all tend to bleed into one another which can make everything a bit indistinct and murky. I already caught myself wondering the other day why my shortcut to switch tabs wasn’t working, before eventually realizing it was because I was working in Mousepad (which has no option to change the keyboard shortcuts) rather than Thunar (which does) :see_no_evil: :sweat_smile:

We looked at those…we’ll try to fix the current patch we are using. In my view is more than “nice to have”, it is a “must have”, both from a usability perspective (buttons style, arrangement, colors, familiarity), and also from a collaboration and interoperability perspective (if gnome does its own thing, kde its own, xfce its one, then linux is broken).

As for differentiating between windows a window border is very useful and it is something I want to have in TROMjaro this year.

1 Like

The AUR maintainer fixed it. That’s great. All should work now.

1 Like

Ooh, a window border sounds like a great idea! :ok_hand:

Yes – Pika and Warp are both working now :partying_face: …though still not Ida

~

I’ve managed to make an automated package list backup now… In case anyone else finds this useful:
I starting with the guide here. Then I modified it in stages to also:

1. Include a Flatpak package list (flatpak list)
  2. Create sub-directories for each day to make it tidier (mkdir -p to only make the directory if it doesn’t already exist), with the timestamp appended to each filename (If you put timestamps on the directory instead it can create issues if the minute time happens to change in the precise moment in between two of the commands running… which somehow happened to me on the very first attempt :man_facepalming: )
  3. Run the whole command sequence as user so that the created directories and files are owned by my user, rather than root (by wrapping the whole thing in su -c "command" USER).

With the final result then being:

#/etc/pacman.d/hooks/50-pacman-list.hook
[Trigger]
Type = Package
Operation = Install
Operation = Upgrade
Operation = Remove
Target = *

[Action]
Description = Create a backup list of all installed packages
When = PreTransaction
Exec = /bin/sh -c 'su -c "mkdir -p /home/USER/.config/package_lists/$(date +%Y-%m-%d); pacman -Qqen  > "/home/USER/.config/package_lists/$(date +%Y-%m-%d)/Native_$(date +%H:%M).txt"; pacman -Qqem > "/home/USER/.config/package_lists/$(date +%Y-%m-%d)/Foreign_$(date +%H:%M).txt"; sudo -u USER flatpak list > "/home/USER/.config/package_lists/$(date +%Y-%m-%d)/Flatpak_$(date +%H:%M).txt" 2> /dev/null; exit" USER'

I’m not sure what the benefit here is of splitting out the ‘Native’ and ‘Foreign’ package lists from one another rather than simply leaving out the n/m arguments and having them all together in one list…

~

Anyway, now that Pika is working I’m thinking of learning how to use that to automatically backup my .config over SSH :nerd_face:

1 Like

What is IDA? The image viewer Ida?

EDIT: Never mind! It’s just me being confused again… I’ve finally worked out that neither ida (fbida) nor feh came as default, but were installed as dependencies for other applications. It looks like feh is an optional dependency for neofetch, though I can’t see anything listed nor dependency warning on uninstall to explain where fbida might have come from. Anyway, you can safely ignore all this :smile:

Original post

Yes, that’s right. But I’ve managed to fix it now. Trying to run it from the terminal gave:

ida: error while loading shared libraries: libXm.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

And then from the discussion here I got the idea to install openmotif and that did indeed turn out to be what was required to fix it. [/s]

Though after trying it now, I don’t see any advantage in it compared to the other two that are included by default*. So maybe it could just be removed from the system.

* – Apart from Image Roll, I only just discovered that there is also feh in the “Open with” menu, and that is quite nice as a very simple viewer when run with the --borderless option, though that only seems to allow cycling through all the images in a directory when launched with the whole directory as the argument (and therefore not when run against a single file via Thunar), and still not the true fullscreen image launch possible with XnView.

Anyway, always nice to have some different options :slight_smile:

1 Like